Baseball is Back! (Maybe)

First: I hope all of my RWO friends and family are well. And is baseball really coming back? 4th of July weekend start with no fans? Radically realigned divisions? An NL DH? A 14-team playoff?

Given the circumstances, I’m all for it! I’m on the traditionalist side, so if you’d asked me this a couple months ago I’d have said “just call off 2020.” But we are starved for diversions, and I think it’s way, way better than nothing and not terribly risky as risks go in this new world of ours. I’m glad to see MLB thinking outside the box, even though the plan has the Rockies lumped in with the Astros and A’s, as if getting past the Dodgers isn’t hard enough. 7-inning doubleheaders? Yep, that’s in there. 30-man rosters? Yep, that too. Who knows what could happen in a half season-long season with nearly half the teams making the playoffs. But you know you’d be watching. MLB and the player’s union, please get it worked out. And let’s play ball this summer … safely.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
28 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Bob K
Bob K
4 months ago
3 months ago

Haven’t checked RWO in awhile, for obvious reasons – glad to see your post, Ag! And agree totally! Although it’s gonna be pretty hard to get used to no fans/crowd enthusiasm…but we’re getting used to all kinds of stuff.

Bob K
Bob K
3 months ago

The Rockies have currently released more than 30 minor leaguers.

sdcarp
sdcarp
3 months ago

Much like RoxnSox – I haven’t checked RWO in “forever,” for obvious reasons. The Amateur Draft feels like “real” baseball. I have to say, the Rockies has an AMAZING day #1. The truth is, it may have fallen in their collective laps and was dumb luck, but at least they didn’t screw it up. Best HS player at #9 overall (Zac Veen), and (by far) the best defensive, receiving, Catcher at #35 (Drew Romo). Both of these guys are legit,… Read more »

Admin
3 months ago
Reply to  sdcarp

Chris McMahon was a good haul. Case Williams could be the most under the radar guy in 2020 draft.

3 months ago
Reply to  sdcarp

Good to hear, from one who knows! Maybe in 5 years or so, we’ll all be enjoying their success and saying to one another “Remember those crazy times in 2020?”

3 months ago

Where did the comment thread go? Also, I was challenged when logging in and had to jump a couple hoops. My comment is: I don’t know all the ins and outs of the owners vs. players’ association disputes, nor of their books and bank accounts, but it’s looking bleaker, the rancor seems high, and the optics for anyone not involved (and I would hope, for some who are) are terrible. None of the players or owners are hurting financially and… Read more »

Admin
3 months ago

Comment thread not working, I’ll let jaredean know. Also had to log in long way, go to email and click link to get back on website.

Admin
2 months ago

RWO website fixed. Comment threads are back. No more logging in every time you get on here. Issue was there was an update to coding that caused those problems. So it was backed out and restored our website. On to baseball, I’ve been riding roller coaster of emotions hoping baseball will be back or not. Stop worrying about money and do your part to be safe, both players and owners. I have been excited about our draft picks and I’m… Read more »

2 months ago

Thanks for the fix, RMH! (Jaredean?) Can I be a horrible nitpicker? The font is very light gray and somewhat tough to read. And thanks for the views on the draft picks. Sounds hopeful on most of them.

With multiple players coming up COVID-19 positive the last few days, I fear that chances of any season of any type are receding fast. The logistics of “safely playing” are staggering to begin with, but with positives all over? Kind of unimaginable.

Admin
Reply to  roxnsox

I’m seeing my type fonts just fine. No very light gray. Must be settings on your end?

Yeah, I’m very doubtful baseball will get going with the new positive tests.

Admin
2 months ago

Just a random thought for today. Remember how we all complained that the Rockies was the only team not to pick up a free agent? Does Dick Monfort work with the Congressional subcommittee on health? Not a penny to spend on the newest free agents!

Reply to  Agbayani

I wonder who’s in center (Hampson?!). And whether Matt Kemp has anything left, wherever he plays on the field; maybe he can park a few in the stands at least. In a short season a few of those could go a ways toward helping.

Reply to  roxnsox

And oh yeah, just remembered there’s a DH!

sdcarp
sdcarp
Reply to  roxnsox

Not a fan of Kemp due to Clubhouse baggage/attitude. Just seems like Bridich is throwing sh*t at a wall, hoping something will stick.

Reply to  sdcarp

Hadn’t heard that about him. I’m obviously not in favor of cancer in the clubhouse.

sdcarp
sdcarp
2 months ago

Rox sign notorious Clubhouse cancer Matt Kemp to hang out with unhappy Nolan Arenado. What can possibly go wrong?

2 months ago

If they have a season, and if 12,000 people (25%) are allowed into Coors Field at some point – as the Rockies have stated they hope to do if possible – would any of you go? I’m querying people when I get the chance about all sorts of outlooks and behaviors, being quite isolated (happily, for the most part, until I think too much or watch too much news) here in the mountains and without much direct contact with the… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by roxnsox
Admin
Reply to  roxnsox

I have 15-game mini season tix and I was offered to go to any games as long as I follow the 12,000 seat limit. But no way I’m going to any games until I have a vaccine. At least the Rockies are giving plan holders a 10% bonus credit for 2021. Means if I spend $1000 for this year, I get $1100 credit for 2021. But yeah I’m sure they will raise the tix prices 10% to compensate for it.… Read more »

2 months ago

Yahoo!!! McGee and Shaw released! Kemp, Owings, and Bard informed they made OD roster.

2 months ago

Yahoo indeed. Wow, I guess the short season made Bridich feel like they could make it with some younger/more unknown relievers? Couldn’t be any worse, for sure.

Last edited 2 months ago by roxnsox
2 months ago

I’ve been watching the 2007 playoff games, and among many other enjoyable parts, I like hearing forgotten tidbits from the announcers like “Helton hit .500 this season against the league’s top 10 closers” and “the Rockies had the best fielding percentage in baseball history.” It’s fun and bittersweet to see 23-year-old Tulo and 23-year-old Ubaldo as they explode onto the scene, and knowing all that followed.

Bob in Indy
Bob in Indy
1 month ago

Hello friends. Time to get this season rolling. Nice kickoff tonight with my two favorite players going yard. I can’t even begin to speculate how this season’s going to go. I usually get tense watching tight games with the season on the line, but this year I believe it’s just sit back and if it goes well, great. If not, no big deal. There will be a lot of * in the record books.

1 month ago
Reply to  Bob in Indy

Bob, it’s great to hear from you! The question of asterisks is an interesting one. Do the record-keepers just slap one big one on the whole thing? How would individual stats be chosen for asterisks?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x