HOT STOVE PART DEUX

Per Ike Turner’s very reasonable suggestion – here’s a Hot Stove (Rox and non-Rox combined) Part II thread. Hot Stove Part I has grown too long – and we’ve done virtually nothing. It’s probably a good thing we didn’t hire AJ Preller – our heads would have surely exploded by now.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
166 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Julian
Julian
5 years ago

Pretty good article on MLBTradeRumors on back of the rotation starters. I wonder if the Rockies are looking at any of these pitchers.

Reply to  sdcarp

Ken Rosenthal tweeting that Rox are indeed talking to Vogelsong……and to Mets about Gee.

5 years ago

A snippet from MLTR (free site): “the Rockies could trade Wilin Rosario, or they could keep him and go with three catchers (Hundley, Rosario and Michael McKenry), MLB.com’s Thomas Harding writes. Many teams have two catchers but are reluctant to use the backup to pinch-hit, so having three would allow the Rockies to use their spare catchers more liberally. Also, they could have Rosario pick up playing time at first base or in the outfield. Harding adds that the Rockies… Read more »

roxnsox
roxnsox
5 years ago

Any way to get Hot Stove, Part Deux, moved to the top? (Thanks Ike and sdcarp)

5 years ago

White Sox (the team I think has done the best so far this Hot Stove season) sign Emilio Bonafacio for 3M, with a 4M club option for 2016 (7M total – in theory). Bonifacio has incredible position flexiblity (2B, 3B, and all OF positions) and is a holy terror on the base paths. Basically – an impact utility guy for roughly the same $$$$$ as non-impact Descalso.

Julian
Julian
5 years ago

Descalso is a good bit less expensive. But I couldn’t figure out why we signed Descalso at all given the presence of Ynoa and Adames for a lot less money. So, with the signing of Hundley, the Rockies were at the 40 man limit and released Chris Martin. I thought that Martin had the potential to become a decent reliever. Watch him get picked up by another team and become a mainstay in someone else’s bullpen. I’ll still think that… Read more »

5 years ago

Nick Hundley signing is official. In the related move, Chris Martin RHP was designated for assignment to make a 40 man spot for Hundley.

5 years ago

sdcarp, I know you’d mentioned Bonifacio as a good useful budget signing for us. And he would’ve been. Surely Bonifacio + freely available veteran catcher (think of all the Olivos and Ojedas we signed in the past) would have been a better use of free agent money than Hundley + Descalso. And Bonifacio’s speed would be fun to watch, whereas Descalso’s … actually, I’m at a loss as to what skill he brings. The ability to sac bunt reasonably well?… Read more »

Reply to  Agbayani

One of the fundamental building block problems the Rockies have since the Club’s inception is lack of speed. We’ve only had a handful of guys that got significants ABs (Eric Young, Willy Tavares, Juan Pierre for a short time) that could steal bases. Hell, Cargo is 3rd on the all-time Rox list with 106. Think about that for a minute. Billy Hamilton may steal that many this year. It’s really sort of pathetic and embarrassing if you think about it.… Read more »

Pooter
Pooter

EYJ is available….

Reply to  Pooter

Sign him to minor league deal and then teach him how to get hit by any pitch ala “Coach” from sitcom Cheers!

5 years ago

And carp, the run scoring environment is way down all across MLB. Back in the billiard ball days of Coors Field, it made some sense to play station to station ball, the old Earl Weaver 3-run homer theory. But now, speed and manufacturing runs makes sense from time to time at Coors, and makes a ton of sense when we’re playing the NL California clubs in their pitcher-friendly parks. Which is just another reason this team building is odd —… Read more »

5 years ago

Stephen Drew to Yanks for 6Mish. Will play 2nd against RHers and backup Gregorius at SS (Gregorius is far from a sure thing in my opinion). Never been a Drew fan, but the man can play defense, and 6M is a little less than I guessed. For that price…..he could have split time with LeMahieu and filled in for Tulo when he gets injured. Jus sayin’ Also read that Wilin will play 1B if we’re not “blown away” (I really… Read more »

Fascinating article;

Relatively simplistic at it’s core. Young pitchers that have + velocity and don’t walk people have a chance to succeed (in spades) at the big league level. Yet another Mets pitcher on this list.

5 years ago

sdcarp, I really can’t improve on one of the comments by on the baseballthinkfactory thread on the Haren to the Rockies Rumor thread: “Once or twice a season, the Rockies get the bright idea to haul in a broken-down, once-famous starter to see if he has anything left. Let’s see how well that’s worked out: 2014: Jair Jurrjens, 0-1, 10.61 2013: Jon Garland, 4-6, 5.82 2013: Roy Oswalt, 0-6, 8.63 2012: Jamie Moyer, 2-5, 5.70 2012: Jeremy Guthrie, 2-9, 6.35… Read more »

Reply to  Agbayani

Love it!

5 years ago

I’d much rather see the ROX roll the dice with Joan Lopez than Haren.

5 years ago

Two teams are befuddling me this offseason – the Braves and my beloved A’s. One minute I think they’re rebuilding, then they’ll make a deal indicating they want to compete in 2015. Ironically, I can see today’s deal between the Rays and A’s impacting the Rockies. The A’s – a short time ago the home to 3-4 catchers, sent out yet another one (John Jaso) in the deal that brings them Zobrist. In my opinion, they’re the one team that… Read more »

Reply to  sdcarp

For reference purposes, here are the A’s SP options; “A’s GM Billy Beane hinted at the club’s plans for the rotation, writes Jeremy F. Koo for SB Nation. Sonny Gray and Scott Kazmir have rotation spots on lock down, while “Kendall Graveman, Jesse Hahn, and Drew Pomeranz are on the inside track.” The A’s also have Jesse Chavez, Sean Nolin, and Chris Bassitt in addition to injured hurlers Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin. As Koo notes, it’s surprising to see… Read more »

Mike Raysfan
Mike Raysfan
Reply to  sdcarp

Both the A’s and especially the Rays befuddle me. I will be shocked if the Rays draw more than 10,000 for any week day game. Probably shocked if they draw 5,000. I feel really bad for Longoria. If I were him I would ask to be traded.

I think the Rays alleged “rebuilding” will compound the issues of staying in St. Pete. They have already been shot down on moving elsewhere in the region.

5 years ago

I’m not a NFL fan, and realize the NFL and MLB are two different animals. But I couldn’t help but see a bit of symmetry in Tulo’s situation now to Peyton’s in 2011. After sitting out 2011 after neck surgery, the Colts had a brutal decision to make – resign Peyton, the face of the franchise, or let him walk and sign Andrew Luck for a fraction of the cost. We all know what happened. 3 years later, Luck has… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  sdcarp

I don’t know how many RWOers are Tulo haters, but I am getting tired of the trade Tulo bandwagon that I’m ready to shoot out all four tires, detach the bandwagon, and push it over the cliff. There’s nobody in baseball, past or present, that has worked harder than Tulo to get himself healthy again. His primary goal is to be on the field a full season. I love him for that and he hasn’t demanded to be traded just… Read more »

Pooter
Pooter
5 years ago

If the Rockies signed James Shields I would become very optimistic about their chances in 2015!

Admin
5 years ago

I certainly hope that Shields remember that we have Gold Glove caliber behind him – NoDo, Tulo, LeMaheiu, Morneau, CarGo, and Stubbs. That would explain why Bridich went out and got Hundley so Shields wouldn’t be throwing to Baby Bull nor McKenry. If the Rox are indeed the mystery team, Bridich clearly is his own man and not dangling on the puppet strings. And it would be historic – that would smash the “no free agents will pitch in Colorado”… Read more »

Pooter
Pooter
5 years ago

I wish Chatwood was having a healthy offseason and getting ready for 2015!

Mike Raysfan
Mike Raysfan
5 years ago

I do NOT believe the Rockies were the mystery team. The only reason I could even remotely believe it was the Rockies is because it was alleged to be a team he didn’t want to play for. Then there is the whole $110m 5yr contract that totally contradicts what Bridich has stated publicly. Thinking back to Shields’ Rays days I can think of a team or 2. I’m also pretty sure at least 2 teams in the NL West had… Read more »

Reply to  Mike Raysfan

I have no idea on this one – just passed along a link. But, if we offered 5 years, 110M and he turns us down for say 5 years, 95M in SF (just a hypothetical), I congratulate the Rox for trying. We’ll always have to overpay for pitching, and that’s OK. But we shouldn’t recklessly overpay. Hard to know where that line is…….but this seems like an appropriate “high” offer that shouldn’t go any higher.

Pooter
Pooter
Reply to  sdcarp

I do believe the Rockies are the mystery team and I think Guthrie has advised Shields to stay away and look elsewhere even if it means less years and money.

TAKE THE MONEY JAMES!!

Reply to  Pooter

I think that the mystery team is the Houston Astros based on their apparent willingness to spend money this off season and he would not be the only player that took less money to go somewhere other than Houston.

For your reading pleasure:

My thoughts – few too many ABs for Tulo, but it’s close.
Few to few ABs for Cargo, but it’s close.
467 ABs for Dahl – WOW.
Borderline historically bad pitching – I agree.

Reply to  sdcarp

There’s some just plain silly projections out there for David Dahl. He’s young, we can expect him to improve, but… he put up a .267/.296/.467 line at Modesto in 125 PAs. Which is nice, particularly for a 20 year old, but there’s absolutely no reason to think he’s ready unless he breaks out big time in spring and in the early going in AA (where I’m guessing he’ll start)

5 years ago

Damn it……Johan Lopez to the DBacks. The NL West is an arms race (literally and figuratively). Lopez would have been a great risk for the Rockies.

Julian
Julian
5 years ago

I have a bad feeling about losing Chris Martin.

Bill
Bill
5 years ago

I’ve been absent for far too long but hopefully my work load will decrease and my wife’s health will improve and I can contribute by reading, posting and sending Jared some dollars. I don’t know if this was mentioned on RWO but the philosophies of the Rockies and Broncos couldn’t be stated much better than on Monday when the Broncos fired John Fox after 4 straight division championships because the goal is to go to and WIN the Super Bowl… Read more »

Mike Raysfan
Mike Raysfan
Reply to  Bill

Bill, there does seem to be multiple rumors alleging interest in Gee by the Rockies. I know some of the Met’s fans have posted up stuff about Brothers. It does sound like the Mets are looking for a lefty. I know yesterday they (Mets) dispelled a bunch of rumors on who is available and who is not from their prospects. NONE of the prospects that are up and comers are available according to the story on MLBtv.

Admin
5 years ago

Not exactly Rox hot stove, but more like television hot stove….hear this out edtheump from today’s Rockpile on Purple Row…. Nathaniel Grow pleads for Major League Baseball to fix its ridiculous blackout problem — one that has reached the initial stages of a lawsuit, in fact. As the author says, it would be beneficial for the league to amend its policy now rather than spend time and money to possibly end up with a worse result. To illustrate how awful… Read more »

EdtheUmp
EdtheUmp
5 years ago

RMH… thanks for the post…see you in 6 weeks or so. The blackout here in SW NM is so illogical that it seems the “powers that be” use none of their brain cells to think through a dispute. I have Directv…I live about 5 hours from Chase Field…I get Root Sports Arizona on channel 686…I get all televised games for the Dbacks (be still my heart). I live 10 hours from Coors Field…there are NO radio stations in NM that… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  EdtheUmp

It has nothing to do with DirecTV. The SW N.M. area television is for the Arizona D-backs. It has everything to do with MLB.TV. They can’t distinguish which teams are covered by the local tv markets. MLB.TV needs to fix their blackouts big time: games should be blacked out only if the local TV market shows the game. In your case, DirecTV doesn’t show the Rockies’ games, therefore it should be valid for MLB.TV viewing. You should unload your complaints… Read more »

Admin
5 years ago

I just went into DirecTV account for my package choices. I did confirm that if went with the Premier package (most expensive package), you would get ALL of the local sports tv stations across the whole country included such as all ROOT locations (Seattle, Pittsburgh, Rocky Mountain), YES from NYC, Fox Sports stations across the country. The premier package also includes all the premier movie channels. Costs $130/month. And yes it does include BTN (Big Ten Network) so you can… Read more »

EdtheUmp
EdtheUmp
5 years ago

RMH… thanks for the input. I did talk to Directv (I have a big package, on Directv, that is, that did not include all the regional sports teams…the lady signed me up for it at $14/month and then added a $10 credit per month for a year after a free 3 month beginning subscription), so my net will be only $4 per month beginning in April. I am able to cancel after a year with no penalties. I will watch… Read more »

Bob in Indy
Bob in Indy
5 years ago

Careful, guys. I have had the premium DirecTV package for years which includes all the sports channels. However, only the Pirates games are not blacked out in my area. I do not have the Extra Innings subscription. Same with the Avs on Altitude. I have to buy the Center Ice package to see them. With hockey, I do have Blue Jackets games available as well as the Penguins. So, unless things have changed this year I suspect you will be… Read more »

5 years ago

Rockies sign Chatwood to 2 year deal to avoid arbitration.

Reply to  Bob K.

Still young with upside if he can get healthy.

5 years ago

Rockies sign Stubbs to one year deal to avoid arbitration. He will be a free agent next year since this was his final year of arbitration.

5 years ago

Rockies also signed a one year deal with Jordan Lyles.

Mike Raysfan
Mike Raysfan
5 years ago

” Charlie Monfort, co-owner of the Colorado Rockies, smiled when The Post told him of the many Mets fans who would love to see Troy Tulowitzki get traded to Citi Field.
“It’s not happening,” Monfort responded.”

EdtheUmp
EdtheUmp

sd…
just to set the record straight…Charlie has quit drinking alcohol altogether.

He’s trying…give him a break…all of you.

He’s a close friend so I’m biased.

Reply to  EdtheUmp

addictions are a bitch so I second your call for compassion.

Admin
Reply to  Mike Raysfan

Thank you Charlie for assisting me in pushing the “Trade Tulo” bandwagon over the cliff. 🙂

5 years ago

The bandwagon is not dead…..just not a lot of riders at the moment!

Reply to  Bob K.

I really don’t understand this. I’m hoping that Chacin is far along enough in his recovery that Rockies scouts could actually watch him throw off a mound, because otherwise you’re committing about all the money the club has left to a very iffy proposition. I was sure they were going to move on from Chacin this offseason. Shoulder surgeries don’t have a good track record (unlike TJ surgeries these days), so I hope they know something we don’t about Chacin… Read more »

Reply to  Agbayani

Agree – makes no sense. But my bandwagon is broken at the moment, so you’ll have to find your own.

Reply to  Agbayani

Ag – on a serious note, this tells me not to expect a significant trade this offseason. A team would only make a move like this if there were no external options they chose to pursue.

Reply to  sdcarp

Well, I guess that’s a theory — Chacin rebounds, you trade him? Actually I saw that he never had shoulder surgery — docs told him rest and rehab could work. So again, maybe he’s shown them something in the last month or so that would warrant such faith in him. But as I do every winter:

Chacin: 5.5 million
Hundley: 3.0
Descalso: 2.0

Hey, that’s one real player!

Reply to  Bob K.

Half-dozen years ago, when offense was still king, I would have said Blackmon wouldn’t bring much SP in return. But now that the pendulum has swung to pitching, with offense at a premium, he might bring a #3 type SP. Maybe???? In most cases, the sell high philosophy is best. So with that in mind, Blackmon and Stubbs are indeed good trade candidates. Orioles and maybe the Mariners could still use OFers. Maybe the Braves as well (not sure what… Read more »

5 years ago

Baltimore’s projected #4/5 guy – Kevin Gausman might be a name to watch. He’s young (23) and has some upside. He’s also from Centennial, so the ROX might see some hope of a long term relationship. In his early career, he’s been a high WHIP pitcher, so that will need to improve.

5 years ago

Planet Alignment Theory — I love it. Pretty much sums up management’s approach these last 3 years or so. Assuming the planets don’t align over 20th and Blake, Gausman would take a Cargo level player though. And yes, I’d do that. Blackmon? I think you’d probably get a useful pitcher for him, either that or a pretty solid/not blue chip prospect. And yes, I’d do that too.

5 years ago

Intriguing to me that Dex is dealt for the 2nd time in two years. Lyles and Barnes was the price two years ago. Valbuena and Straily this time. The Cubs are paying a higher salary to Dex in his final arbitration year, but arguably gave up a bit less to get him. But it’s clear that Dex’s value isn’t going up and he’s at the physical apex of his career. In hindsight, DOD did well with the Dex deal.

Reply to  sdcarp

Supposedly the other guy in the mix was C.Blackmon.Did we not find someone to like in the Cubs loaded farm system?

5 years ago

By signing Max Scherzer, the Nats have made Doug Fister their #5 starter. Think about that!?!? Tanner Roark to the BP. Lots of talk of a 100+ wins. But in my opinion, their current setup smells a bit like the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz Braves of the 90’s. That insane SP will lead to lots of wins, but perhaps it’s flawed in the playoffs (boy, I wish we had this problem!). The offense looks average, and the Pen looks below average at the… Read more »

Reply to  sdcarp

Trading Clippard could have been a major gaffe.Wish we’d gotten him—-or just about any living,breathing guy with 2 arms and 2 legs!

Reply to  Gary

Clippard has been darn good for a number of years. I don’t know his contract details and if there are any back stories, but it does seem strange. Also, Billy Beane usually doesn’t take on bad contracts or “back stories.” So I agree with you – weird deal.

They’re also about to rely on Yunel Escobar to play 2nd. That’s a bit of a risk as well.

JulieG
JulieG
5 years ago

I hate to complain, but Hot Stove Part Deux is getting harder to find while the original, unused is just sitting there.

Reply to  JulieG

doesn’t EVEN SHOW UP ANYMORE!

Reply to  JulieG

Just scroll down to the recent comments and it is almost always the first one.

Reply to  Bob K.

only way I find you guys.

jaredean
Admin
jaredean
Reply to  Gary

Sorry, i made it “sticky” so it will now show up on the front page at the top…

5 years ago

Astros sign Colby Rasmus to replace Dex in CF. Almost an O’Dowd-ian move: (1) trade incumbent player with bigger salary, get a couple other useful pieces in exchange; (2) replace incumbent with cheaper player coming off a down year who has a chance of being as good or even better.

5 years ago

As the recent “negative” voice of the Rox – I’ll post a happy link; http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-rockies-as-a-2015-sleeper-team/ It seems that several of the projection algorithms are projecting 76-78 wins for the Rox – so someone predicting them as a “sleeper” team isn’t a huge stretch. I continue to maintain if the Rox are bent on pursuing the Planet Alignment strategy – the single highest impact “realistic” move they can make is getting bonafide, dynamic Closer. The SP is going to suck…….but I… Read more »

5 years ago

Rockies sign Jurrjens to minor league deal with invite to spring training.

Reply to  Bob K.

Hard to believe that dude is only 28.

I also see that the Giants signed Vogelsong for 4M.

Reply to  sdcarp

So we give Chacin 5 mil.plus when we could have had Vogelsong for less.I continue to drink heavily every time the word Rockies is mentioned!

Reply to  Gary

I thought exactly the same thing Gary. SF got the home team discount, but I’d rather have Vogelsong at 6M over Chacin at 5M. Vogelsong has been durable – a true innings eater (even though I don’t really like that term).

5 years ago

If you believe what you read on Twitter (and who wouldn’t – right?), Brandon Beachy is on the verge of signing with the world famous “unknown” team (that team must be really good). Good pitcher, but coming off his 2nd TJ and will not due to pitch until May – at the earliest. Probably not truly useful until after the All-Star break.

Colorado Thistle
Colorado Thistle
5 years ago

Some random thoughts from the Fan Fest: Cargo self reports as fully healthy, saying, “I have my smile back” in response to the question of his health. Jeff Bridich comes across as a thoughtful rookie GM working his rear end off. He did say that they like their pitching staff, but they are always looking at pitching like every other team in the league. Walt Weiss seemed a lot more comfortable this year. Maybe he was as happy to see… Read more »

5 years ago

Two comments – Shout out to Darren Holmes. He and I went to the same HS. He’s two years younger than I. Good guy. Has turned into quite the mechanics guru. File this under the flimsiest (is that a word?) circumstantial evidence ever – Cargo tweeted a photo of himself, his wife, and their two beautiful daughters Christmas day. It was seriously a lovely photo. But being the baseball junkie that I am…..I didn’t think “what a sweet looking family.”… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  sdcarp

Me bullish on both which will correspond to the Planet Alignment Theory.

5 years ago

Can’t fault your optimism. I hope you’re correct.

166
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x