It seems the Diamondbacks aren’t the only Arizonans messing with the Rockies movements. The team was waylaid at the airport well after midnight, with tweets from Jordan Pacheco, “Still stuck in az airport this sucks” and EYj’s reply, “sooo tired!” painting a picture of the life of a ballplayer.
After one of the worst games in the Rockies history on Saturday, Sunday started with such promise. Seeing Nolan Arenado taking to the field in his first major league game of his career brought a lot of hope to the fans heart, but the play on the field ended up being more of the same: a team undone by extremely poor judgement on the base-paths and terrible glove-work behind the dish. After a very strange weekend of really bad baseball, the Rockies will take their talents to LA for three.
Colorado will continue their seven-game, two-city road trip by kicking off a three-game series against NL West foe, Los Angeles (4/29-5/1). The seven-game road trip will be the longest road trip in terms of games played thus far in the 2013 campaign.
• Tonight RHP Tyler Chatwood will make his second start of 2013 and fifth career start against the Dodgers. He’s made two starts at Dodgers Stadium.
• LHP Ted Lilly toes the rubber for the Dodgers and is the third left-handed starter against the Rockies in as many days. This will be Lilly’s 15th career start against Colorado, first since 5/13/12.
Colorado finished the 2012 season 8-10 against the Dodger Blue. They were 2-7 on the road last year vs. Los Angeles. The Rockies have lost their last four games against LAD after being winners five of the previous six times. Colorado was swept by the Dodgers in LA on 9/28-30. The Rockies have won four of the last six series’ dating back to last year. They have won just one series at Dodger Stadium in the last six trips.
• Rockies Jorge De La Rosa is 0-7 with a 6.17 ERA (50.2 ip, 35 er) against the Dodgers in 13 career games/9 starts. The seven losses are his most against any team.
• Carlos Gonzalez ranks second among active hitters in batting average against the Dodgers. His .351 average (65-185) sits behind David Wright’s .371 (76-205). Gonzalez has 8 doubles, 2 triples, 11 home runs and 43 RBI.
• Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki are tied for the most home runs against LAD since the beginning of 2008 with 11 home runs. CarGo’s 43 RBI is just one more than Tulowitzki’s 42, which both are 1-2 respectively during the same span.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Two Rockies were nominated for the NL’s Player of
the Week Award that ended up going to Pittsburgh’s Russell Martin. The two nominated hitters were Dexter Fowler and Eric Young Jr.
• For the week ending 4/28, Young batted .391 (9-for-23) with four doubles, one triple, a RBI and three runs. Four of his last five hits have been doubles and five of his last six hits have been for extra bases.
• Dexter hit safely in all seven games for the week going 11-for-28 (.393) with two doubles, a triple, three RBI and four runs. He also got five walks including a three-walk day on 4/27 at ARI.
Colorado continues to lead the Majors with 243 hits so far this season, 83 have gone for extra bases including 42 doubles, nine triples & 32 home runs.
• Colorado’s 243 total hits give them an average of 9.72 a game. If they stay on that pace, they’ll finish April with 262 hits which would be the most in April since 2003 when they had 262 hits. They’ve only had 260+ hits in April five times in their franchise history.
• The Rockies began the season with at least one extra base hit in their first 19 games. Have had an extra base hit in 24 of their 25 team games.
• Colorado’s 32 home runs is second in the NL and fourth-most in all of baseball (Atlanta leads with 36 HR).
• 18 of their 32 home runs have come on the road, but have two in their last four road games.
|2. Jordan Pacheco (R) 1B||2. A.J. Ellis (R) C|
|3. Carlos Gonzalez (L) LF||3. Adrian Gonzalez (L) 1B|
|4. Wilin Rosario (R) C||4. Matt Kemp (R) CF|
|5. Michael Cuddyer (R) RF||5. Andre Ethier (L) RF|
|6. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B||6. Skip Schumaker (L) 2B|
|7. Josh Rutledge (R) 2B||7. Luis Cruz (R) 3B|
|8. Jonathan Herrera (S) SS||8. Justin Sellers (R) SS|
|9. Tyler Chatwood (R) P||9. Ted Lilly (L) P|
|GAME TIME: 8:10|
TV: ROOT SPORTS
Radio: 850 KOA
[quick-chat room=”ROXdODGERS42913″ height=”600″]