First I can’t make the RWO events this week at 20th & Blake but I will be there in spirit. Besides I am still sticking to my boycott until a couple of Rockies executives have moved on.
Not much is being said or written about the trade deadline deals or lack of them, so I thought that a little review would be good to see where we are at:
1. Guthrie traded for Sanchez (no brainer and it saved some dollars even if Sanchez never really pitches well for the Rockies).
2. Scutaro traded for Culberson (also a no brainer and saves money even if Culberson never makes the 25 man roster).
3. Hernandez not traded and has one year remaining on his contract. Don’t have a real problem with this because I would love to see the Baby Bull prove that he can be a MLB defensive catcher before he makes the 2013 opening day roster. Really liked the work that Nieves did however.
4. Giambi not traded as I am guessing there is no market value left here.
5. Betancourt and Belisle not traded and should not have been either. Good pitchers are too valuable to be trading away – for examples of this see Lindstrom and Hammel.
6. Colvin and Hernandez were not traded, however I think trading them in off season would probably make a ton of sense. Marginal catchers will be available/affordable in the off season and to be honest I wouldn’t mind seeing Yorvit coming back to the Rockies in a quasi starting role.
In summary not a lot to complain about here except that with spare parts laying aroung in EY2, LeMahieu, Nelson, Herrera, Colvin, Hernandez, several failed starting pitchers, etc, there should have been an opportunity to add some better starting pitching – better than Sanchez.
Final thought – although this could be wishful thinking, I think the lack of deadline trade activity shows that Monforts have already made the GM and Manager decisions, and they are just waiting for the end of the season to make the announcements thus leaving major decisions to the new regime.