Who Should be the Next Manager of the Rox?

Bill mentioned Wally Backman yesterday. Backman was on my long list previously posted. I also posted a brief follow-up comment to Bill explaining Backman’s somewhat dubious past – although from purely a baseball standpoint I think he’s easily qualified.

But it got me thinking – this is going to be THE hot topic for the next 6-8 weeks.

Here’s my prediction:

Rox finish season, 2 weeks pass, Rox and WW have a lovey dovey press conference saying they’ve mutually decided to part ways (what a joke – there’s nothing mutual to it in an expiring contract situation). Then…..speculation begins for the next Manager.

I vote that we park our speculation/thoughts on this thread. I’ll revisit my past posts and recycle my long list in the near future. I’ll place those names here. In the meantime, I’m going to throw a “new” name into the mix:

sdcarp

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
99 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Bill
Bill
4 years ago

I threw Backman’s name out there yesterday after I read that he was no longer with the Mets. But sometime this summer I posted a note that I had read that the Rockies have never hired either an ex-catcher or an ex-pitcher as a manager. Actually Clint Hurdle turned to catching late in his career when he could no longer stick as a 3B. Most manager’s are ex-catchers, pitchers not so much. Of the names above Bud Black, Mike Maddox… Read more »

Admin
4 years ago

Now the Yankees fans know how it feels when the bullpen don’t come through with a 3-run lead and Betances closing.

4 years ago

OT Tragedy – Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez dead in boating accident.

Agbayani
Agbayani
4 years ago

Jose Fernandez – what a loss for baseball. There aren’t many pitchers that will make me tune in (or go to the park) just to watch. Fernandez’s had that rare combination of pure talent and absolute joy of playing the game. It was truly infectious. Things he did would’ve been called showboating and “lack of respect for the game” if other players did it. For him, it was just Jose loving life and baseball, and nobody ever seemed to take… Read more »

roxnsox
roxnsox
Reply to  Agbayani

Nicely said, Ag. I echo the heartbreak of many at the tragic loss of a beautiful young man (and let’s not forget his friends), and a wonderful talent who enriched the game. I have another comment, less important: I could not give two hoots that the Rockies lost the game today. A walkoff by Charlie Culberson?! Beautiful. Props, Charlie, “role player.” So long, Vin; I enjoyed your calls, and glad your guys sent you out of Dodger Stadium happy (with… Read more »

Reply to  sdcarp

Andre Ethier is still a Dodger. He was on the DL most of the season but recently returned. He hit a solo home run in the Dodger’s 5-2 win over the Rockies on Friday.

roxnsox
roxnsox
Reply to  sdcarp

I’d love to see the Rockies knock the Giants out of the playoffs!!!

Doc
Doc
4 years ago

As much as I dislike Weiss as a manager, my gut tells me Dicky will resign him. If I’m wrong and he actually brings in someone we respected, the impact would be huge for the organization.

Reply to  Doc

Bridich expected to cut cord with Weiss but Monfort will be part of decision.

4 years ago

Weiss takes decision out of Bridich’s hands and announces resignation. Thank you Walt!

Mike Raysfan
Mike Raysfan
4 years ago

So both Bud Black and Ron Washington are interviewing for the Braves job. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if either one ended up here. Unfortunately you really didn’t have to read between the lines with the Jeff Bridich answer to Mr. Goodman. And even he admitted it is the Rockies m.o. to look in house. Could be way off base but the rumors and speculation seem to be favoring Mr. Hill as a possible front runner.

Reply to  sdcarp

I suspect that Bridich knew for a long time that Weiss was not coming back and already knows who he wants as the next manager. I am sure there will be a number of interviews and unless someone comes along and just blows away the competition that the next manager has already been tentatively picked. I also believe that it is long past time for Tommy Runnells to move on. I believe that, in my opinion, they need to bring… Read more »

Reply to  sdcarp

I don’t give a whole lot of credence to posted analyses of young minor league players. For one the analyses are usually done by people that don’t see much of the players and while sometimes they may be correct they are often very poor judgments. One example is Nolan Arenado who as a minor league player was continually being said to be a poor defender. I watched him in games when he played in the Arizona Fall League and he… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  sdcarp

Is he fiery? I bet Arenado’s desire for a fiery type manager is about 5 percent weight on Bridich ‘s decision for next manager. I bet about 70% weight is for a candidate who is a big believer in sabermetrics so he’ll be on the same page as Bridich.

Admin
Reply to  sdcarp

And the pitching coaches remain which is my #1 concern. As it turns out, Foster and Holmes were Bridich’s hires. Everyone else fired were friends of Weiss or same old in house. Dick Montfort had finally figured out to let Bridich run the organization nearly independently.

4 years ago

From MLBTrade Rumors projected arbitration salaries for 2017.

“Rockies (5)

Jake McGee (5.127) – $6.1MM
Tyler Chatwood (5.039) – $4.8MM
Jordan Lyles (5.021) – $3.3MM
Charlie Blackmon (4.102) – $9.0MM
Nolan Arenado (3.155) – $13.4MM”

Admin
4 years ago

Thomas Harding reported possible outside candidates bases on his educated guesses. None of them on sdcarp’s list except Bud Black. Ron Roenicke – Angels coach and former Brewers manager. Brad Mills – Indians bench coach Eddie Perez Dave Martinez – Cubs bench coach who interviewed for Dodgers manager but Dave Roberts chosen. Worked with Joe Maddon. Ron Wotus – Giants bench coach long time under Bochy. Toney Lovullo – successful manager in the Indians and Red Sox systems. I love… Read more »

Admin
4 years ago

I’m leaning to Dave Martinez. He’ll get creative like Maddon. Move Car Go to 1B, put best pitcher in earlier innings, have versatile players, etc. Even move LOOGY pitcher to OF then bring him back to mound as needed. 🙂

Bob in Indy
Bob in Indy
4 years ago

Let’s see: Tulo in, Tribe in, Sox out, Mets out, Cubs in, Giants slayed, Yanks never there. So far so good. Usually by now I’m stuck rooting for the lesser of two or even four evils. Go Nats, make it a sweep and I have something to like about all these teams.

Disclaimer: I have never had to endure a Cubs game with their fans at Coors so I’ve never developed the probably justifiable animosity some of you have.

roxnsox
roxnsox
Reply to  Bob in Indy

The Cubs’ 9th inning win over the #&$^!$#^%#$^! Giants was one of the sweetest things I’ve ever had the pleasure of rooting for and seeing happen in baseball. And it reaffirms my belief held all season that this is the Cubbies’ year at last. I hope my dad is watching from where he is, and I’ll be feeling him as I root them all the way home. I hate fans of visiting teams overwhelming Coors Field as much as anyone,… Read more »

Admin
4 years ago

It’s now official that Cole, Foster, and Holmes will return for 2017.

Copied and pasted:
Former Padres manager Bud Black confirmed on Tuesday that he is interested in the Rockies’ manager job.

4 years ago

Harding reports that Bo Porter is being considered for the manager’s job.

sdcarp
sdcarp
Reply to  Bob K.

Bob – it’s encouraging to see these out-of-organization names continuing to pop up. Ron Roenke had also been floated. I’m not pro Porter or Roenke, but I find the interest level encouraging.

Bill
Bill
4 years ago

Last night our old friend (or not) the World”s best GM (Dan O’ Dowd) speculated that Lovullo would likely have lots of interest in Lovullo. I think Tony La Russa still is employed in some capacity with the D-Backs so I’m not sure who is calling the shots. I’m guessing that the Rockies are seriously considering some of the coaches on the 4 teams still in contention. I think Brad Mills would be a good fit. Worked with Francona for… Read more »

Bill
Bill
4 years ago

I meant Hazen had interest in Lovullo.

Admin
4 years ago

I watched the Avs play their first 2 games. As we know Sakic went outside to find a coach with a lot of success and experience in the minors. Working out wonderfully so far.

That is what Bridich appears to be doing as well. Sdcarp was on to something when he talked about experience and success in the minors like Lovullo.

Admin
Reply to  sdcarp

Very familiar. I think Bridich wants to wait until WS is over so he can talk to Dave Martinez. After the dthe Avs impressive win last night I realize the new coach is making a big difference. He said at the post game, “it’s important to win a game but a lot more important to win the game after the game you lost. ” Wow I was thinking you’re hired as a Rockies manager. I really hope Bridich hires someone… Read more »

Admin
4 years ago

I don’t know if Pete Rose is banned from coaching but I’m all over him as hitting coach for Colorado.

4 years ago

Pete Rose is banned from baseball. He got banned when he was a coach. He will not be anyone’s hitting coach.

jimboelrod
jimboelrod
Reply to  sdcarp

Tim Wallach hit .281 36 HR 124RBI for 1980 Denver Bears that went 92-44. He KNOWS you can win in the Mile High City.

Reply to  jimboelrod

They also need a fitness trainer that understands the advantage of training at altitude.

Doc
Doc
4 years ago

I find Wallach very intriguing Think I ‘ll move him to the top of my list. .Denver post on board:

4 years ago

OT – Arenado wins second consecutive Fielding Bible award as best defensive 3rd baseman in MLB.

Reply to  sdcarp

The other thing is that this is currently the only active thread. I would expect this award to help get him his 4th gold glove.

4 years ago

Rockies and Diamondbacks to interview Wakamatsu. I don’t think this has as much to do with either club being interested in him as a manager as much as it has to do with him requesting an interview which must be granted because of Federal regulations. Of course, I could be wrong.

Reply to  sdcarp

Joe Maddon has been stumping for Martinez to get a manager’s job.

Reply to  sdcarp

LOL. It doesn’t take much to be more qualified than Weiss. One item that Weiss did that was a hold over from Tracy was not even trying to win every game. You can’t win every game but the attitude that you don’t even need to try to win is a bad one.

Admin
4 years ago

Dave Martinez is still my first choice. Now that WS is over, there are only two managers jobs open. I think Martinez comes here since Arizona have other ideas.

4 years ago

As expected Diamondbacks expected to name Lovullo manager. Still no word on Rockies new manager.

Agbayani
Agbayani
4 years ago

How the Indians almost won it – fantastic article on fangraphs by August Fagerstrom (who doesn’t love that name?), who is leaving fangraphs to work for a MLB team (probably the Indians, so there’s a little bit of “new guy sucking up to his bosses” here too, but still, a good read): http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-indians-built-the-game-plans-that-nearly-won-it-all/ And this is probably where Bridich is trying to take the Rockies. Interesting thing is that the old “scouts vs. stats” split is pretty much over. All… Read more »

Admin
Reply to  Agbayani

Bridich has Montfort’s trust. That won’t happen trust me. It’s Black or Martinez or a name out of left field.

sdcarp
sdcarp
Reply to  Agbayani

My fear is that he doesn’t throw us a curve. Instead, it’s a big fat Glanallen Hill meatball down the center of the plate.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x